West Hull FM Life is now published on Issuu, and available electronically to all.
As this is a project that I have had to find myself, I have been given full scope to design my own brief. This has been something that I have had to rein myself in with, as I had so many ideas that it was felt that I had enough content to create enough work for more than one project.
After consultation with my tutors, I have narrowed the workload down, but that gives me the opportunity to give 100% to it, rather than trying to spread myself too thinly.
I have completed my assignment brief and attached below, but I would like to continue with the project over the next few months, including over the summer break.
After creating my initial magazine spread for David Whitfield, I submitted it for formative feedback from my tutor, and was pleasantly surprised with the comments that I received.
There were a few alterations that were suggested with the first draft, which I completely agree with. As I have been so focused on the magazine spread for a few weeks, it was nice to have a few things pointed out that could take a good product, to one that is of a far superior quality.
The suggested amendments were
- Checking images for stretching out of proportion.
- Ensuring hyphenation is turned off throughout all text boxes.
- Consistent use of full stops on captions – Either use them, or don’t.
- An adjustment of line spacing – Not paragraph spacing, but the actual gap between the lines.
- A larger background image, leaving a margin on all sides of the main text boxes.
- Use of photos in larger frames to break up the text frames.
- Change of colour on the headline on pages 8-11 – Background and text colour.
I also noticed another couple of items that I felt needed to be changed.
- The “Followed In” section had been expanded from initially 8 bands on 2 pages, to 4 pages, whereas I feel that each artist could benefit from a band per page, taking account of the expanded line spacing, and by giving more space to the headline photo.
- Slight adjustment of some photos, so that the background images can be seen on all sides, rather than the image merging into the margin.
After creating my feature for the Writing For Purpose strand of my degree, I felt the need to put my words into an InDesign spread, to see if the words would work within a magazine or newspaper pullout.
I created a blank 4 page document, with 2 columns per page, which I have used on previous booklets and pullouts.
On the settings screen, I left most of the defaults, with Paper Size as A4 Portrait, and left both slug and bleed as 0mm, but if I was to send this off for printing, I would ensure that it matched the requirements of the publication.
With the 4 pages, I created 2 text boxes, each one being the height of the page, allowing for the margins shown above, and covering two of the columns, minus the gutter of 4.233mm.
Using Google Images, I found a creative commons photo of generic houses that had a licence for non-commercial usage. This is acceptable for using in the assignment, but I would have to change it, if the spread was used in a magazine or newspaper. I felt that the image was appropriate to use in the document, but was too strong in colour, to use either as a background or as the front cover.
Using Photoshop, I changed the look of the photo, by adding a white rectangle over the image, and changing the opacity to 60% for the front cover image, and 83% for the background on pages 2, 3 and 4.
As you can see below, this allows the image to be visible, but also enough white for the black text to see over it later in this post.
By copying the text from the blog, and pasting into the spread, I was able to link the text boxes, so that any extra text can automatically move into the next text frame, be that on the same page, or the next.
The final spread is shown below, complete with the infographic created in infogr.am
On finishing the spread, I was able to use the InBooklet feature in InDesign to export as if I was to send it off to the printer or publisher, and I also exported the document as a PDF, so that I was able to upload to copy to Issuu, where a copy can be found by clicking on this link.
On both websites, I uploaded a PDF, created using the “PDF Export” function within InDesign, which the software added the pages together to create magazine spreads.
David Whitfield Magazine, published on Joomag
By using a variety of online tools, the audience reach of the document, will be available to a wide cross-section of people. The magazine also exists as a print based document, and can be sent for printing within the client’s outlet.