After creating my feature for the Writing For Purpose strand of my degree, I felt the need to put my words into an InDesign spread, to see if the words would work within a magazine or newspaper pullout.
I created a blank 4 page document, with 2 columns per page, which I have used on previous booklets and pullouts.
On the settings screen, I left most of the defaults, with Paper Size as A4 Portrait, and left both slug and bleed as 0mm, but if I was to send this off for printing, I would ensure that it matched the requirements of the publication.
Settings for InDesign 4 Page Spread
With the 4 pages, I created 2 text boxes, each one being the height of the page, allowing for the margins shown above, and covering two of the columns, minus the gutter of 4.233mm.
4 page spread shown at 33% in InDesign
Using Google Images, I found a creative commons photo of generic houses that had a licence for non-commercial usage. This is acceptable for using in the assignment, but I would have to change it, if the spread was used in a magazine or newspaper. I felt that the image was appropriate to use in the document, but was too strong in colour, to use either as a background or as the front cover.
Using Photoshop, I changed the look of the photo, by adding a white rectangle over the image, and changing the opacity to 60% for the front cover image, and 83% for the background on pages 2, 3 and 4.
As you can see below, this allows the image to be visible, but also enough white for the black text to see over it later in this post.
Image shown at 0% and 83% opacity with a white rectangle drawn in Photoshop
By copying the text from the blog, and pasting into the spread, I was able to link the text boxes, so that any extra text can automatically move into the next text frame, be that on the same page, or the next.
The final spread is shown below, complete with the infographic created in infogr.am
Final Indesign Spread before export.
On finishing the spread, I was able to use the InBooklet feature in InDesign to export as if I was to send it off to the printer or publisher, and I also exported the document as a PDF, so that I was able to upload to copy to Issuu, where a copy can be found by clicking on this link.